SEMRush Keyword Research
Learn how to do keyword research + various use cases
What is it?
The SEMRush Keyword Research is a feature that is part of the SEO Toolkit. It allows you to find the right keywords for SEO and PPC campaigns.
It is composed of various tools:
- Keyword Overview
- Keyword Magic Tool
- Keyword Manager
- Keyword Difficulty
- Organic Traffic Insights
Keyword research is a crucial step if you want to get more traffic and rank on Google.
Don’t skip this part.
When should you use Keyword Research?
Use the tools for keyword research if you want to:
- know the best keywords to use for SEO
- determine which keywords to target for your PPC campaigns
- research what your target audience is searching for
- find long-tail variations of your seed terms
- get more ideas for keywords to target
- create keyword lists to group ideas together
- learn specific keyword metrics like monthly search volume, difficulty, and competition levels
The keyword research tools provide you insights on which keywords and topics you should prioritize in the short- and long-term.
Learn keyword research from the pros
New to keyword research? Want to find out how other people conduct their research?
Enroll in this free keyword research course in the SEMRush academy.
After taking the course, you will:
- develop a solid foundation for keyword research
- learn keyword research principles you can apply regardless of industry
- gain an understanding of search intent (query intent)
- learn how to use SEMRush tools
How to do keyword research in SEMRush?
Keyword research in SEMRush is simple.
You enter a keyword in your industry (e.g. dog walking, coffee beans) and it will show you its search volume, the difficulty for ranking, and various long-tail variations.
From there, you can explore further and add them to specific lists that you can go back to later.
How to do competitive keyword research?
Competitive keyword research is finding what your competitors are doing in SEO with the main goal of reverse-engineering their strategies.
You can use these insights to further improve your own SEO efforts, fuel your content marketing, or steal their traffic.
What keyword research strategies should I use?
There are many approaches to keyword research you can take.
The standard recommendation is to go after a high search volume, low difficulty keyword.
Another strategy is to prioritize by buyer intent.
Regardless of what SEO strategy you use, it will depend on your industry, resources, and other marketing activities that you are doing.
Specific Use Cases
What are you trying to achieve? What do you want to do?
Keyword research is important if you want your online marketing efforts to bring you positive ROI in a short period of time. Choose the wrong keywords and you’ll find yourself…
Get Started with SEMRush
SEMRush is the ultimate marketing toolkit. It has everything you need to manage your digital marketing activities—from SEO tools like keyword research, backlink analysis, to content marketing and social media management.
After you sign up for a free trial, email me at [email protected](dot)com if you want to receive daily emails on how you can maximize your SEMRush trial.
Note that this is for a Guru plan.
I cover the following topics:
- Perform a site audit to fix your on-page SEO and other technical errors that are holding you back from improving organic traffic and rankings
- Research keywords to write about
- Uncover hidden opportunities your competitors are neglecting and steal this traffic from them
- Plan and create SEO-optimized content
- Analyze your link profile and disavow toxic links
- Perform link building outreaches
- And many more