SEMRush Competitive Research
Spy on your competitors, gain insights, steal their best strategies
What is it?
The SEMRush Competitive Research solution is part of the SEO Toolkit. It allows you to find the strengths and weaknesses of any website.
It is composed of various tools:
- Domain Overview
- Traffic Analytics
- Organic Research
- Keyword Gap
- Backlink Gap
Researching your competitors helps you understand the industry better, learn what’s working and what’s not, and use this analysis to beat them.
When should you use Competitive Research?
Use the competitive research tools if you want to:
- reveal the most popular products, services, and content of your competitors
- analyze any website traffic
- identify their best-performing channels
- determine gaps in your marketing strategy
- Look at your competitors’ organic performance
- efficiently reach a new market, based on audience interests, demographics, and overlap
- find growth opportunities
The competitive research tools provide you actionable data to make informed business decisions.
Specific Use Cases
What are you trying to achieve?
Choosing the right keywords to target can make or break your search engine optimization (SEO) efforts. If you choose keywords with very little volume or very high competition, your efforts…
Finding who your organic search competitors are is an important step in ranking on Google. You have to know the competitive landscape first if you want to grow your traffic.…
Targeting the right keywords is one of the first steps in the competitive research process. If you try to rank for the wrong keywords for your website, you might get…
How to research your competition in SEMRush?
Competitor analysis in SEMRush is easy.
Simply enter their domain in the Organic Research tool and you’ll find an overview of their website’s performance on search engines.
Don’t know who your competitors are? Or trying to explore a new market? Enter your own domain (or any known website in that space) and you can see who their organic competitors are.
What can I do with the competitive research solution?
The competitive research tools are broken down to help you understand these aspects:
- The big picture. You’ll find insights on any domain’s traffic, visitor engagement, number of organic and paid keywords, backlinks, and display ads.
- SEO. Uncover your competition’s SEO strategies, find where you’re weak at, and bridge that gap.
- Advertising. These tools show you how your competition spends their advertising dollars and what keywords they target.
- Content and PR. Follow your competitor’s online efforts with ease.
- Social Media. Track your top competitors on popular social media channels and uncover social strategies they are using.
You’ll soon realize that you’ll be switching from one tool to another.
For example, if you want to create a 10x content, you’ll be switching from Organic Research, Keyword Gap, Backlink Gap, and Topic Research in order to do that.
Don’t focus on the individual tools itself; rather, identify what you are trying to accomplish instead.
What’s the difference between competitive research solutions with the competitive research toolkit?
The competitive research solution was originally a part of the SEO toolkit.
But, because the tools are often linked to one another, SEMRush grouped these together to create the Competitive Research Toolkit.
This toolkit includes tools for:
- Content & PR
- Social Media
Get Started with SEMRush
SEMRush is the ultimate marketing toolkit. It has everything you need to manage your digital marketing activities—from SEO tools like competitive research, backlink analysis, to content marketing and social media management.
After you sign up for a free trial, email me at [email protected](dot)com if you want to receive daily emails on how you can maximize your SEMRush trial.
Note that this is for a Guru plan.
I cover the following topics:
- Perform a site audit to fix your on-page SEO and other technical errors that are holding you back from improving organic traffic and rankings
- Research keywords to write about
- Uncover hidden opportunities your competitors are neglecting and steal this traffic from them
- Plan and create SEO-optimized content
- Analyze your link profile and disavow toxic links
- Perform link building outreaches
- And many more